The competition’s program requested 78 residential units + 22 to be built in a second phase. The site of 20979m2 is divided in two lots, GFA can be arranged freely in the two parts.
At urban scale it is designed following a scheme that unifies the two lots, generating continuity in term of volumes, density and circulation. Located on the seam between a low-rise neighbourhood and an extra-urban area, the new four linear buildings identify a safe area that is no more an introverted space but an area of relation within the project site and with the context.
At the architectural scale it is conceived as a modular building based on cells that generate different typologies and spaces allowing flexibility, efficiency and versatility both in design phase and in construction. The overall composition integrates with the neighbourhood and creates an interactive network of green areas, public spaces, and courtyards. The buildings work as “filters”, permeable elements able to organize circulation and integration at multiple levels.
The system based on modules (3.1 m x 13.65 m) engages with the general strategy. Single modules can be added or subtracted from the buildings’ massing allowing changes at each stage. Porosity enables continuity and connection at the ground floor; at the upper levels it gives the possibility to have apartments with patios, roof gardens and generous terraces. The patios create holes in the main volume reducing the visual massiveness. Accesses to the buildings work like horizontal links and integrate public routes with private ones enhancing opportunities of social interaction.
The aggregation of single modules allows a great flexibility in the unit mix and typology; different combinations generate apartments of varying size addressing to the market’s demands and people’s needing. The structural grid, based on the module, minimizes construction waste and costs without limiting the possibility of variations and customization. It influences the façade scheme as well; the single form has been divided into 3 sub-modules, thus giving the possibility to have more opening options. Each typology has a range of options to be selected from a façade matrix and combined with a colour scheme generating a delicate yet various elevation results.
Sustainability features are incorporated in the project by means of orientation, passive energy solutions, the use of renewable energetic source and materials. The buildings are oriented on the east-west axis; all the units, lined up along the side, have double exposure and terraces on both sides. On the south one the deeper terraces regulate sun shading according to the season and give a proper outdoor extension to the units enhancing the living quality. Metal mesh curtains and extensive use of vegetation in the terraces will improve the climate conditions and the randomness of the façade defining a soft layer contained by the sharp slab edge. Energy efficiency is also achieved by the use of solar panels combined with mechanical ventilation and radiant floor heating/cooling system; installations and MEP are located in a central servant area.
Sustainability issues are challenged at many scales. The master plan is conceived in order to occupy the minimum area: the built area is about 20% of the all site and green areas and open spaces occupy the other 80%. The project proposes a living model fully integrated with natural environment and social spaces.
Status: Invited Competition, 2012
Location: Fiorenzuola d’Arda (PC), Italy
Program: Site Area 20979m2,Total 78 Residential Units
Architect: MAR office and Studiovert
Team: Verbena Ricotti, Renato Juarez Corso, Paola Mongiu, Gianmario Rovida.
Visualizations: www Cristian Chierici